Environmental, Health, and Safety
Business: Venture Aerobearings
Location: Ladson, SC
Function: Environmental Health & Safety
Venture Aerobearings LLC, (VA) a joint venture between SKF and GE, was created in August 2007. VA was founded by our parent companies to be an innovative aerospace manufacturer of jet engine bearings. mandate is to produce better and less expensive parts faster for our consumers, by implementation of self-directed work teams, use of advance high-tech machinery and lean six sigma processes.
The Environmental Health and Safety department fosters an EHS culture that promotes the safety and wellness of our employees; protects the environment; ensures compliance; delivers value to our business, customers and communities; enhances VA’s reputation and distinguishes us as a socially responsible company.
This internship involves assisting the EHS Department in all aspects of the site’s environmental, health and safety program. This will include; but is not limited to the following:
- Participating in a OSHA Voluntary Protection Program gap analysis.
- Reviewing, updating and posting various EHS programs, policies and training materials.
- Participating in facility inspections to detect potential EHS hazards.
- Assisting management in accident investigations to determine root causes and the implementation of corrective actions.
- Special projects as assigned by the EHS Leader, such as chemical transition from Hazardous Materials Identification System(HMIS) to Global Harmonization System(GHS) and risk assessment.
- Environmental projects may include creating site Waste Maps outlining where waste is created and where it is to be disposed of. It may also include labelling chemicals as hazardous or non-hazardous and/or creating a waste profile sampling plan, working both with site EHS personnel and waste vendors.
- Complete assigned EHS tasks/projects and other administrative duties as assigned, including special internship project and presentation.
- Must have a minimum of 3.0 GPA (without rounding)
- Working towards a degree in Engineering, Safety or Environmental Technology.
- Attending a full time matriculated and nationally accredited baccalaureate or graduate program
- Completed one full year of college (rising sophomore)
- An analytic approach to problem solving
- Strong knowledge of computer and Microsoft products
- Willingness and ability to learn from others
- Demonstrated leadership and a team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Desire to work in a fast paced ever changing environment
- Ability to be agile as business needs change and shift frequently